left corner left corner
China Daily Website

Chinese victims' families arrive in Boston

Updated: 2013-04-20 23:30
By Zhang Yuwei and Hu Haidan in Boston ( China Daily USA)

The families of the two Chinese victims in Boston explosions arrived the city on Friday.

Cui Tiankai, the chinese ambassador to the United States, and representatives from Boston University met the family of the Chinese victim, who was killed in the bombings, at the Logan International Airport on Friday night.

Lu Lingzi, a 23-year-old Shenyang-native from Boston University, was among the three fatal victims during the Boston Marathon bombings on April 15. The attacks injured more than 170.

After arriving Boston from Washington on Friday noon, the ambassador first visited Zhou Danling, a female graduate student from Boston University, who is being treated at the Boston Medical Center.

Cui said Zhou's condition is stable and she talked briefly.

"Her condition now is better than I expected and is on the way to recovery," said the ambassador after visiting Zhou.

Zhou is taken care of by her mother who arrived from China earlier.

Cui said the Chinese government appreciated the US support to the victims families.

Cui said Zhou expressed her gratitude to Chinese students from Boston University and other cities who came to visit her since she was injured. The actuarial science student said she would continue her studies at Boston University after recovery.

Zhou, Lu and another Chinese female student from BU were near Boylston Street - the marathon's finish line - when the deadly bombings happened. The third student, Qian Tingting, who is also a BU student, was unharmed.

A few hours before Lu's family arrived in Boston, police captured the second bombing suspect after nearly a day-long manhunt. The 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was killed in a confrontation with police on Thursday night, were suspects of the deadly bombings during the Boston Marathon.

  • Group a building block for Africa

    An unusually heavy downpour hit Durban for two days before the BRICS summit's debut on African soil, but interest for a better platform for emerging markets were still sparked at the summit.